This cucumber relish often accompanies satays, yellow curries, Thai fish cakes, etc., but is also delightfully served with grilled or fried meats.
Simple and easy to make, this sour and sweet relish goes well with many Thai dishes. Vinegar and sugar make this relish sour and sweet, but is balanced with a little saltiness from salt. Vegetables added like cucumber, shallot and fresh chilies not to only enhance a flavour and add aroma, but also make it colourful.
- ½ cup vinegar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 100 g cucumbers, quartered lengthwise and then thinly sliced
- 2 thumb-size shallots, peeled and then thinly sliced
- 1 each fresh orange and red cayenne peppers, thinly sliced
- Chopped coriander, to sprinkle
- In a wok or small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt and heat up over a low-medium heat. Continue stirring until the sugar and salt dissolve. Turn off heat and transfer into a bowl and let stand to cool.
- Once ready, add the cucumber, shallots and fresh cayenne peppers and stir to combine.
- Spoon the cucumber relish into a small serving bowl. Sprinkle with chopped coriander.